Monday, September 10, 2012

The Master Suite (8 of 11): Tub vs Shower

The great debate – Do you have both a tub and a shower in your Master Suite?  In the previous post we discussed the 5-piece bath which includes both.  For some this is necessary.  One person loves taking showers.  Having multiple heads with various settings provides the perfect start to the day.  For others, the large soaker tub with its relaxing, massaging jets and in-line heater, is essential to wash away the cares of the day.  The answer to the debate is to plan the fixtures that are just right for you.  If you are concerned about the future sale of your home then perhaps you should have both.  From my experience and working with many different clients from various backgrounds and routines – the tub is starting to play a minor role in the Master Suite.  About 75% of the clients I have worked with prefer not having a tub in the Master Suite.  (Why would I want to sit in a pool of my own filth? – Ew!)  The other 25% are very insistent that they have a separate tub – even if they only use it sporadically.  (How can I read a book in the shower?  Stupid soggy pages!)  So how do you like to wash away the stresses of daily life?

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Master Suite (7 of 11): The 5-Piece Bath

Convenience has played a huge role in the development of the modern bath.  This epitome of this evolution has been termed the ‘5-piece bath’.  It can easily be inferred from this creative title that there are five key elements to the modern master bath.  These elements are two vanities, a water closet (or toilet for those who are not offended by the common term), the tub and the shower.  Notice that the tub and the shower are listed separately.  This is for a few reasons.  First – the tub should be better than that for any standard bathroom.  This should epitomize luxury.  It should be larger and deeper and for most people it should include jets.  [A side not with jets – If you want to be happy with your tub for all the years you own it, the jets should circulate through an in-line heater so your water doesn’t get cold too fast, and the pipes (or tubing) should be rigid and sloped for positive drainage.  Do not get a tub with corrugate tubing.  The water will collect in the ribs and mold so you get a cloud of green mold pumped into your tub when you turn on your jets – now back to our regular programming.]  The next reason the tub and shower are separated is because the shower has so many options for shower heads.  A truly luxurious shower has shower heads on all the walls which can be adjusted and manipulated to give therapeutic massage thus optimizing relaxation.

The dual vanities have gone through an evolution process of their own.  Naturally this is so each homeowner can have a sink all to themselves.  (So now you are responsible for cleaning up your own toothpaste splatters and whisker clippings.)  When more space is available, separating the two vanities to opposite sides of the bathroom and providing her with a grooming station/make-up counter will make life in the morning a little more enjoyable in the mornings.  With no bumping elbows she can avoid stabbing herself in the eye with the eye-liner and he can avoid nicking himself with the razor.  Life is good and the drive to work is a little more enjoyable!

So to keep harmony and bliss in your life – make the 5-piece bath part of your Master Suite.